Information and Strategies
We have compiled helpful resources across settings and are in the process of developing informational and educational materials to utilize with individuals with ASD, including visual schedules, social narratives, and more. Be sure to check our Coronavirus Hub for even more information!
What is Coronavirus?
COVID19 is a Novel (new) strain of a common type of viruses known as coronaviruses. It is not related to the flu though it can produce symptoms that people associate with the flu.
Who do I call with questions?
Ask-Learn-Share with HANDS in Autism® : Open Office Hours
Join us online for a question and answer session Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 3:30-5pm EST. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Learn more and register for the open office hours.
from IN.gov: “General questions from the public or healthcare provider inquiries about COVID-19 may be directed to the ISDH COVID-19 Call Center at the toll-free number:
877-826-0011 (8 a.m. to midnight, daily).”
from IUhealth.org: “IU Health has launched a virtual clinic to offer individuals in Indiana regardless of age free Coronavirus (COVID-19) screenings using the IU Health Virtual Visit app. Staffed 24/7 with IU Health physicians, advance practice providers and registered nurses, the clinic will screen patients from home, potentially eliminating the need to visit physician offices, urgent cares or emergency departments.”
Strategies and Supports from HANDS
HANDS in Autism® is preparing a series of supports designed to aid topics such as:
- Social Narratives
- Visual Schedules
Where to find information and updates:
- INformation Network: Coronavirus Page
- Indiana Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA) – FSSA guidance for various programs and stakeholders regarding COVID-19
- The Indiana State Department of Health (ISDH) – 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Dashboard https://on.in.gov/COVID19
- Indiana Division of Disabilities and Rehabilitative Services – COVID-19 Visual Communication Card for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing population (mobile) (Print)
- World Health Organization (WHO) – Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak information
- WHO – Situation Dashboard map with numbers
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) – Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- Mental Health America – Mental Health and COVID-19 – Information and Resources
- UNC Frank Porter Graham Child Development Institute Autism Team – Supporting Individuals with Autism through Uncertain Times
- The Indiana Department of Labor – FAQs for workers
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) – Covid-19 Resources
- Organization for Autism Research – COVID-19 Updates & Resources
- WHO – Advice in video and image form