What is Self-Advocacy? And why is it important?
Advocacy is important for everybody regardless their age, health, education, or wealth. It allows us to stand up for ourselves or those we care about to reach our goals and meet our needs.
Self-advocacy is about your active participation in decisions about your own life through:
- speaking up for yourself,
- making your own decisions about your life,
- finding information that interests you
- finding those who can help you or be your friend
- being aware of your rights and responsibilities.
Not Sure Where to Start?
- Self-Advocacy (Autism Speaks)
- Action Model for Self-Determination (bestselfdetermined.com)
- 10 Steps to Effective Self-Advocacy (Disability Rights, Florida)
Suggestions for Parents and Educators on Teaching Self-Advocacy Skills:
- Self-Advocacy (Understood.org)